ANDY | KAWASAKI ZX-7R

THIS MONTH I HAVE MOSTLY BEEN... “Realising the scale of the job in hand...”

Roll back the clock and you could be in Harold Eckl’s garage

TIME ON TEST: 4 MONTH (FBK 271)

RACER ODOMETER MILES

BHP: NA

GAIN: NA

NEXT AIM: CARBS & PAINT

I never once thought building this race bike from scratch would be easy, so I never thought it would be done in no time at all. But it is, in no uncertain terms, a huge job. It’s hard to give it the attention it needs, when delivering you guys the magazine you know and love each month is the day job. It’s certainly worth it though, and I’m learning absolutely loads; from individual part engineering to problem solving - through more engineering. I’m truly loving this experience!

What makes it even more time consuming is my pride and perfectionism. I want everything done right, to look and work as it should. The rear subframe is now complete, yet I bet it took me close on 25 hours to get it done. I started on the front unit soon after, to hold the clocks and retain the front fairing. Being keen to have a go, James let me loose with his welder. Needless to say, I started again and let him weld up the second one!

With the rear sorted my attentions turned to the exhaust and hanger; it’s an Akrapovic full system in carbon and stainless steel. A beautiful system it is too, and a popular choice today with ZX-7R fanatics, as it was back in the day. I made the hanger though – well it seemed silly not to. It all looks gert lush, as they say in Bristol, and I’m incredibly anxious to hear its rumble in the jungle. It will no doubt let the stock motor breathe way better, whilst a jet kit in the standard CV carbs will also gain better power figures.

Up front are a set of SES clip-on bars. Simple and functional, these are built for the racing paddock and fit the bill perfectly. Finished with an attention to detail in the machining splendour, they add to the already awesome front end further. The carbs aren’t in place yet, but ready on the right clip-on is an Active quick action throttle. The old gal won’t pack a huge punch, so getting hold of what power she will give is essential. Once again it’s an item that works well, so it’s on the bike through merit alone.

The fairings have gone on too. I was impressed with the quality of them, considering the price is very respectable. I was struggling to find a company in the UK that still made a Seven-Argh race tail unit (infilled seat), so I went for something different. As you can see, it’s from a 2003 ZX-6R, in keeping and uplifting in more ways than one. It continues the ZX-7R evolution theme.

I didn’t have any fairing brackets, so once again I made these too. Shaping and bending aluminium sheet, then drilling and riveting in Deuz fasteners. A carbon fender for the Suzuki front end finishes it off soundly. It’s starting to look like I’d envisaged, or at least it is on the outside; underneath still needs a lot of work.

It was meant to be ready by now, and you should have been reading about my first race in this very issue. But the passing of my Father somewhat changed my perspective on things, so forgive me for not rolling on to the grid – but my aim this month is to be at Donington for my first race of the season.

Price from new: £Scrap

Modifications Price

Frame £125.00

Engine £200.00

Front end and wheels £400.00

K-Tech Piston Kit + Fitting £510.00

Akrapovic System £709.00

SES Clip-ons £113.63

Active Quick Action Throttle £114.00

King Carbon Race Bodywork £215.95

King Carbon Fender £114.95

RUNNING TOTAL £2502.53

CONTACTS:

PERFORMANCE PARTS LTD 01327 706139 WWW.PERFORMANCEPARTS-LTD.COM

SES 01953 451070 WWW.SESRACEPRODUCTS.COM

XKING CARBON 01279641111 WWW.KINGCARBON.CO.UK

JHS RACING 0117 986 8844 WWW.JHSRACING.CO.UK

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.