Favorite driver's magazines

"Fast Bikes", January 1, 2013

MURRAY HAMBRO

In December 2010, Murray Hambro was serving in Afghan in an armored personnel carrier called a Warthog, but hit an IED and was launched 40 feet in the air. “The shockwaves alone smashed most of the bones in my feet and I had a big list on injuries from a fractured pelvis and six vertebrae fractures, to a scratch on my nose and a ruptured liver and spleen. 24 hours later, I was in the Queen Elizabeth in Birmingham as a double leg amputee. My left foot was a no-brainer – there were very few bones left intact. My right leg could’ve been saved but I would have been in and out of hospital for the next three years, foot fused and walking with a stick. The surgeon reckoned that, because of my age, I’d be up and walking with prosthetics within a few months. I made the final decision.”

After a few months, the docs asked Murray about his interests and hobbies. He mentioned motorcycling, but there was some shoulder shrugging and they suggested finding a new hobby.

“As soon as I left hospital, I went down to the nearest Triumph dealer and bought a Daytona 675. One minute I was down at Headley Court (the Army’s second-to-none rehab centre) doing my rehab with my new prosthetics, taking my first few steps, next I’m motorcycling racing!

“Obviously I’ve had the armed forces compensation and I had a couple of private policies. Going to Afghan, you’d be a fool not to take them, and hopefully the payout has secured my future – it’s just a case of spending wisely. I’ve just done eight back-to-back race weekends and rushing to get my Clubman license, so I can try to race in the Triumph T3 Challenge in 2013. The money is starting to run dry!”

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.