Favorite driver's magazines

"Fast Bikes", January 1, 2013

BMW C 600 SPORT

BMW MOVES BACK INTO THE WORLD OF SUPER SCOOTS WITH THIS BRAND NEW CITY SLICKER

SIMON 'ROOTSY' ROOTS

BMW C 600 SPORT

SIMON 'ROOTSY' ROOTS

I’ve been keeping up with the commuter traffic on the motorway for 30-odd miles now, cruising at 70mph and heading up all the way to, well, you know. The economy readout says I’m doing anything from 50 to 150mpg depending on the traffic. Thanks to the heated grips and seat, I’m warm and comfortable. The encompassing weather protection has also meant the worst of the rain has been batted away. My rucksack is tucked away in the cavernous boot, I’ve got my essentials in a neat little cubby hole. In short, everything is sweet.

Yup, as a mode of transport, the new BMW C 600 Sport is brilliant. It’s fast, comfortable and extremely practical with almost every eventuality thought out in considered Germanic fashion and incorporated into the bike’s design. But as a bike this super scoot, like all of its rivals, leaves me feeling more than a little emasculated. I feel like I’m on a speeding toilet, perched as I am on the seat in true scooter style. The excellent CVT gearbox leaves my left side near redundant, while the right is only concerned with the most basic inputs of going and stopping.

Hampered by small wheel sizes and cheap rubber, the super scoot niche has never really been blessed with decent handling bikes, but the C 600 Sport almost lives up to its suffix with a sprightly air to it at speed, helped by grown-up 15-inch wheels and Pirelli Diablo rubber gripping well in all conditions. And it needs to be able to hustle through the bends, because the 647cc motor can hustle.

Thanks to the handling, you can drift off and think you’re on a big bike – like when I quickly pulled the clutch in at a set of traffic lights, only to be greeted by the ABS reminding me that I was actually engaging the rear brake.

So, great handling, awesome economy, decent looks, able engine. All’s good, right? No, because there’s a 'but' the size of J-Lo’s coming – the cost of this machine is nothing short of astronomical. With extras, you’re looking at a five figure price tag, and all you're getting in return is a scooter. Yes, you’re getting a cock-on commuter – but I’d want my own train for this sort of money...

Highlights

647cc twin motor

Steel tube chassis

Heated everything

Massive boot

60bhp

249kg

TRACK 4

Wouldn’t be the worse thing

FAST ROAD 6

Pretty accomplished, considering

HOOLIGAN 1

Far too civilised for that

NEW RIDER 8

So, so simples

DESIRABILITY 6

Looks good, goes better

Verdict 7/10

Such a capable machine, perfect for an oligarch’s commutes – they’re the only ones who could afford it!

+ COMFORT, HEATED EVERYTHING, HANDLING

- PRICE, SIZE IN TOWN, OPTIONAL EXTRAS

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.