Favorite driver's magazines

"Fast Bikes", April 1, 2013

ANDY | KAWASAKI ZX-7R

THIS MONTH I HAVE MOSTLY BEEN... “Spending as much time as I can working on the bike...”

TIME ON TEST: 3 MONTH (FBK 271)

RACER ODOMETER MILES

BHP: NA

GAIN: NA

NEXT AIM: BODY WORK

It has been a very busy month on the ZX-7R racer project. I finished the rear caliper hanger, with James welding it all up – it’s looking peachy on the bike.

I set about stripping the loom of anything I don’t need. Armed with a wiring diagram and electrical testers, I fearfully made slow progress. James showed me how I should go about it, and after a steady start progress was made. Insanely, over half a kilogram was cut out of the loom – just on waste wiring!

My GSX-R forks went off to K-Tech for some loving, and have come back looking sweet. They’ve fitted an SSK piston kit. These will give enhanced compression and rebound damping efficiency, and come supplied with new rebound and compression flow control valves and needles. K-Tech say this will give me a finer range of rebound and compression adjustment over the standard items – great for tuning in track settings. The fitting service includes new springs and fork oil too. If you’re building a bike for track use, you seriously need to think about your suspension. The difference these will make should be amazing.

The most labour intensive job was making the bespoke race subframe, a front version will be built next month. Getting the seat unit propped up in place, we could determine where we wanted the subframe to sit. So far I’ve been in the thick of the action, wanting to do as much of this build as I could. Although I played a part in the whole subframe saga, I let James and Elliot at JHS take the lead. These guys know what they’re doing; building race machines is what they do. It’s a labour intensive job that needs to be done right. Although not completely finished here, I’m sure you’ll agree it looks awesome, I’m really pleased with it.

I’ve sourced from James’ store room, a Daytona 675 radiator to go on while the boys have serviced the Tokico callipers. A further little job I did, was to make some eccentric adjustable steering lock stops. Things are moving on nicely, I just need to keep the heat up...

Price from new: £Scrap

Modifications | Price

Frame | £125.00

Engine | £200.00

Front end and wheels | £400.00

K-Tech Piston Kit + Fitting | £510.00

RUNNING TOTAL | £1235.00

CONTACTS:

K-TECH 01283 559000 WWW.K-TECH.UK.COM

JHS RACING 0117 986 8844 WWW.JHSRACING.CO.UK

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.