Favorite driver's magazines

"Dirt", December 1, 2012

FULL-THROTTLE FUN

THE 2012 DIRT ACTION AMCROSS WRAPS UP FOR 2012 IN WHAT WAS AN AWESOME YEAR

STORY MATT BERNARD

PHOTOGRAPHY KATRINA VERNON

This has been an awesome year for the DIRT ACTION Amcross. In 2012, DA again became the sole naming-rights sponsor for the series — something we are very proud of.

The series kicked off in Picton, NSW, and criss-crossed its way around the state in a six-round series, finishing in Leeton. Each round was an absolute blast and I looked forward to not only racing the Project Kawasaki KX450F at each and every round but also the atmosphere, checking out the juniors, cruising around the local towns and, last but absolutely not least, sampling each town’s chicken schnitzel parmigiana.

From 65s right through to the over 45s, the classes were riddled with close battles from first to 31st, with smiles all around. We’d like to take our hats off to all the organisers and all the clubs’ volunteers who helped make each round run smoothly.

We thought we’d do this feature a little differently, so here are some of the best images from the year and the best of the best for 2012.

DIRT ACTION AMCROSS ROUND OF THE YEAR

COOMA OFF-ROAD CLUB

The Cooma off-road club put in an absolute mammoth effort. The club is on the ball and its members are very friendly people. The track they set out this year was lots of fun and the event ran without a hitch. Local businesses really get behind the round and, thanks to that, the club is able to put up hole-shot money for one race for every class, which is awesome. We take our hat off to the Cooma club; it put on a great round and among a series of awesome events managed to come out on top of worthy opponents.

BEST CHICKEN PARMIGIANA

BEGA: CLUB BEGA

This parma was the best I’ve ever had. Had one at pretty much every town we visited and this one came out a clear winner.

HATS OFF TO ...

THE LADIES CLASS

The girls had a decent grid at each and every round. Letitia Alabaster was on fire and cleaned up the class with perfect scores at every round bar one. It was great to see a good grid of girls getting out there and having a go and holding it on!

TOP DOG #1

MICK DRISCOLL: OVERALL JUNIOR CHAMPION

Mick Driscoll was the highest-scoring junior rider and deserved the accolade. The young KTM rider dominated the 9/U11 Years 85cc class and his near-perfect year took him to the top of the points at the end of the season.

TOP DOG #2

BRETT MOFFAT: OVERALL SENIOR CHAMPION

Brett Moffat scored a 442 out of a possible 450 in the Over 45s class to be the highest point-scoring rider of the senior riders.

OUR FAVOURITE ACCOMMODATION

BEST WESTERN CENTRETOWN, GOULBURN

By far, the Goulburn Best Western was the best place to stay in Goulburn. We had a two-storey modern apartment which cost less than a crappy cabin we stayed in the year before.

RUTS GALORE AWARD

BEGA

If you love to rail a rut, there were about five in every corner for you to smash at Bega. Awesome fun if you were doing it properly — hell if you weren’t.

VENUE OF THE YEAR

MILBREA, LEETON

Where the Leeton round is held is a spectacular venue. It’s a tarred road all the way to the pits and the green paddock with a snaking brown grass track through the paddock looked pretty darn awesome. The track was good fun and the roost was heavy going.

30-SECOND BOARD HOTTIE OF THE YEAR

JONNY ROW

At the Cooma round, as I pulled my goggles on, I noticed Jonny Row in his full moto getup doing 30-second board duty. Upon a closer look, it came to my attention that he’d used some green Kawasaki tape to make himself a mankini and wiggled his butt around as a group of 450 riders got set for the gate to drop. Classic.

GIVE IT A GO!

Amcross is for everyone, whether you’re a trail rider looking for some grass track fun or a motocross racer who loves a fast-flowing track. Give Amcross a go; it’s not just for pros, it’s made for people who love having a ball on their dirtbike no matter what bike they ride or how fast they are. If you’ve always wanted to line up and race, Amcross is an awesome place to start. See you in 2013!

LIKE IT

www.facebook.com/dirtactionamcross

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.