Favorite driver's magazines

"Bicycle Times", January 1, 2013

Detours Georgetown Dry Pannier

By Shannon Mominee

PHOTO: JUSTIN STEINER

I’ve had a tough time with panniers in the past. They’re usually too big for my needs, making them a pain to use, or I’ve been skeptical of using them in wet weather. Detours’ Georgetown Dry Pannier is a different story. It combines waterproof coatings and a double closure. This tough-looking set has a 1280D nylon body with a thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) coating, and an 800D hood with multiple TPU coatings. Full seam-sealing tops off the waterproofness. The semi-rigid frame maintains its shape when empty, making it easier to fill.

The 9.5”x8”x15” main compartment is the perfect size for my laptop, lunch, and necessities, or for bounty from the grocery store. Inside is one small pocket perfect for a flat repair kit or phone. A roll-top closure with Velcro tabs and strap seal the opening against moisture, and the waterproof hood is secured in place with buckles. The smaller, outer pocket has a waterproof zipper and TPU-coated hood. It’s perfect for keys and wallet, or other items you need quick access to.

Attaching it to my rear rack was simple: just push gently until the spring-loaded clip and two hooks engage. There’s a stretchy cord to attach to the bottom of the rack, which lessened the bouncing but didn’t prevent it. It works on a front rack, too. A removable shoulder strap and reflective side-loop are included.

I’ve been pleased with the Georgetown. The dual-top closure gives me enough confidence to transport electronics in the rain, and the 850cu.in. capacity is a great mid-range option. I’m not sure if I’ve met or exceeded the 22lbs. max weight capacity — who carries a scale grocery shopping? The construction has held up and I’ve experienced no problems.

If you have plans for commuting or touring in the rain, the Georgetown is a great mid-size pannier. They are sold individually for $105, but having a pair is golden. Includes a lifetime warranty. Made in Taiwan. www.detours.us

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.