Favorite driver's magazines

BMW 6-series

A big boulevardier, now with more head-turning style.

Like many recent BMWs, the 6-series emerged from its redesign considerably better looking than before. Historically, the 6-series has been offered as a coupe and a convertible. The convertible features a uniquely designed soft top whose rear edges extend rearward, framing a vertical back window that is power operated and can be raised or lowered independently of the roof. Now, BMW is adding the first-ever four-door 6-series, the Gran Coupe (pictured). Like the two-door and the convertible, the Gran Coupe is available as the turbocharged six-cylinder 640i or the 650i with a turbo V-8. The V-8 can be had with all-wheel drive, which is unusual for a coupe/convertible. The 6 also offers a manual transmission (in the 650i), a choice that’s increasingly rare in this class. Do not, however, conclude that the availability of a stick shift means the 6-series is a highly involving sports car. It is not. Granted, its performance is impressive — even the 640i can race to 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, and the all-wheel-drive V-8 version can do it in as little as 4.7 seconds. Even quicker is the M6, which returns — as a two-door coupe or convertible only — after a two-year absence. Its turbo V-8 packs 560 hp and is paired exclusively with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic. Much more so than before, the new M6 deftly combines luxury and performance.

COMPETITORS

Audi S5

Jaguar XK

Maserati GranTurismo

Mercedes-Benz E-class

new for 2013

The latest 6-series debuted for 2012, and this year BMW fills out the lineup. The four-door Gran Coupe is now here, in six-cylinder (640i) and V-8 (650i) form. All three body styles can be had with all-wheel drive. In addition to the M Sport package, there is now an honest-to-goodness M6 coupe and convertible (but — not yet — an M6 Gran Coupe). The M6 borrows its powertrain from the M5.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

Front, side, and side curtain air bags (in the coupe); active head restraints for the front seats; traction and stability control; ABS; a tire-pressure monitor; a rearview camera; adaptive xenon headlamps; and adaptive brake lights are standard on all models. Night vision is optional.

MPG

CITY 14–15

HWY 20–23

PRO

Powerful engines

Manual or automatic

Gran Coupe is a stunner

CON

Pricey

Cramped rear seat (two-door and convertible)

More fast than fun

Base Price Range: $75,295–$113,995

SPECIFICATIONS

DRIVE: Rear-wheel, 4-wheel

TRIM LEVELS: 640i, 650i, 650i xDrive, M6

BODY STYLES: Coupe, sedan, convertible, 4-passenger

ENGINES: 3.0L turbo I-6, 315 hp, 330 lb-ft

4.4L twin-turbo V-8, 400 hp, 450 lb-ft

4.4L twin-turbo V-8, 560 hp, 500 lb-ft

TRANSMISSIONS: 6-speed manual, 7- or 8-speed automatic

PASSENGER VOLUME: N/A

CARGO SPACE: (coupe/convertible) 13.0/11.0 cu ft

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.