Favorite driver's magazines

Mitsubishi i-MiEV

The future, according to Mitsubishi.

ELECTRIC

Remember the days of all-wheel-drive VR4s, twin-turbo 3000GTs, and wild, rally-bred Evolution models? Those all helped define Mitsubishi’s identity years ago, but no more. The i-MiEV, which debuted stateside in 2012, is the company’s first step toward rolling its electrification scheme across its global portfolio. The i-MiEV is small, yet its cabin offers a surprising amount of room for four passengers. Apart from the eerie lack of engine noise, the i drives like most other subcompact hatchbacks. Its light steering and tiny frame are boons in urban gridlock; cruising at highway speeds produces more wind noise, a somewhat nervous ride quality, and a decrease in total range. Mitsubishi says the lithium-ion battery pack provides 85 miles of travel on a single charge. With a 120-volt supply, a full charge should take twenty-two hours. Upgrade to an optional 240-volt charger, and that time drops to six hours. A Level 3 connector for quick charging (an 80-percent charge takes only thirty minutes) is an option, but few such stations are installed across the country. With a pretax rebate MSRP of $29,000, the i-MiEV is one of the less-expensive EVs on the market, but the increased range and sophistication offered by other EVs — notably, the Nissan Leaf and the Ford Focus EV — might be worth a $6000-to-$7000 premium.

COMPETITORS

Chevrolet Volt

Ford Focus Electric

Honda Fit EV

Nissan Leaf

new for 2013

The i is now available nationwide.

SAFETY EQUIPMENT

Front, side, and side curtain air bags; ABS; stability and traction control; and tire-pressure monitoring are standard, as is a system that warns pedestrians of the vehicle’s movement.

High Mileage

MPGE

CITY 126

HWY 99

PRO

No gas needed

Surprising interior space

Limited range

CON

Lengthy charge times

Skittish highway ride

Base price range: $29,975–$32,825

SPECIFICATIONS

DRIVE: Rear-wheel

TRIM LEVELS: ES, SE

BODY STYLE: Coupe, 4-passenger

MOTOR: AC synchronous, 66 hp, 145 lb-ft; lithium-ion battery, 16 kWh, 330-volt

TRANSMISSION: 1 fixed reduction gear

PASSENGER VOLUME: 85.0 cu ft

CARGO SPACE: 13.0 cu ft

Welcome to BrowseMags.com

Welcome to browsemags.com, a place where you can find a great selection of most popular driver’s magazines.

The website is dedicated to those who love driving fast cars and bikes.

All the content is submitted by our readers. Feel free to send us your favorite magazines.